[uf-discuss] Re: Need for plain-language intros for each microformat

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Wed Sep 5 14:58:01 PDT 2007

On Sep 5, 2007, at 2:34 PM, Ben Ward wrote:

>>> Syntactically the URI would still work, however, semantically it
>>> would have
>>> been broken, that is, it is bad to not only change URIs so that
>>> they 404 and
>>> just plain don't work, but it is also bad to change the *meaning*
>>> of that
>>> URI.
>>
>> As long as there is a clear link to the specification from the
>> explanation, then I disagree that it's really changed the meaning
>> of the link target.
>
> Whilst the ‘meaning’ in terms of microformats.org/wiki/hcard being
> a page about hCard would still be valid, the context in which that
> URL is used by publishers on the internet. Tutorials may link to
> the entire page accompanied by the text ‘read the hCard
> specification’, whilst other pieces could be linking to fragment
> identifiers within the page to reference a specific part of the spec.

I think if we all take a step back we'll find this tangent is rather
pointless.  Two proposals have been made: 1) change the current root
pages to be intros and create new -spec pages or 2) leave the specs
where they are and create new -intro pages.  I've seen a few people
object to #1 and no one object to #2.  So why not just do #2?  Does
anyone actually think creating -intro pages is a bad idea?  It seems
like we're just debating #1 for the sake of debating.

Peace,
Scott