[uf-discuss] Microformats and title attribute parsing

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Sat Sep 8 03:29:07 PDT 2007

Re-routing parsing issue to microformats-dev.

On 9/7/07 7:36 PM, "Mike Kaply" <microformats at kaply.com> wrote:

> See:
>
> http://kidachi.kazuhi.to/blog/archives/002343.html
>
>> I was disappointed with his comment - he means that Operator won't catch
>> title attribute of
>> span element in hCalendar as far as the community doesn't get one concrete
>> conclusion.
>> (BTW Tails and Tails Export can find my hCalendar as I expected.)
>
> Is  this true? Tails and Tails export find title on non abbr elements?

This is a longstanding bug in Tails.

The title attribute has *never* semantically meant anything on anything but
the <abbr> element in microformats parsing (e.g. see hCard parsing)[1].

Last time I checked, Tails incorrectly looks at the title attribute on all
elements instead of just on <abbr> - I think at this point it is due to lack
of maintenance than anything else.  An innocent mistake that was just never
corrected.

> If this is the case, it would mean an old version of X2V does this
> since that's what they use....

X2V has properly supported <abbr title> (and not title attribute in general)
for quite some time.  Tails must use its own implementation or perhaps it
uses a *really* old version of X2V?

Tantek

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-parsing