[uf-discuss] Storing Microformats

Breton Slivka zen at zenpsycho.com
Mon Sep 17 15:26:06 PDT 2007

I would say that a relational database would be the best option here-
if it weren't for SQL. It seems all these suggestions are all more
about avoiding the pain of dealing with SQL than doing the right
thing. The fact is, that microformat attributes all have well defined
relations which can easily be modeled with the relational model.  The
fact that SQL makes the relational model so difficult to actually do
is the huge barrier here (that's why you were using a "flat" table,
and also why it didn't work).

One easy option is to simply serialize the microformat into json,xml,
or as the original html markup, and store it in a text blob. This is a
perfectly legitimate solution which is often avoided due to some
misunderstandings about atomicity in databases, or due to performance
(most often these performance concerns are 'premature optimization').

if you have more questions about the specifics of how I would do the
more difficult (but more flexible) relational solution, which I fear
may be straying off topic here, and would take some significant effort
to write out, please feel free to email me.