[uf-discuss] Standardized Representation of Microformats in JSON / was: (no subject) & hCardMapper v0.96

Ciaran McNulty mail at ciaranmcnulty.com
Wed Apr 2 08:38:37 PST 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 4:03 PM, Gordon <gordon at onlinehome.de> wrote:
>  One more thing: I am unsure about the plural naming convention I suggested.
>  Apart from indicating if the value of  a property can hold multiple values,
> I don't see any added benefit right now. But I do see an unnecessary level
> of complexity when it comes to parsing an hCard into a jCard. You would need
> to know how to properly inflect a property, e.g. you cannot simply add an s
> to "honorific-prefix". And whats the plural of adr anyway? Same for
> converting plurals back into singulars. And since we want to represent an
> hCard anyway, why should we deviate from the property names of an hCard, if
> it's not adding any worthwhile benefit. So, back to singular?

Totally agreed, the only change to the hCard field names should be
from hyphen-separated to camelCase (this transform is used in
stylesheet attribute names in DOM so may be formally specified
somewhere if it seems non-obvious enough we need to lay it out.

There's very little utility in having the field names reflect their
plurality - a parser needs to know how to parse each field separately
anyhow, for most real-world applications.  Keeping vCard names is more
useful than changing them for very little gain.

-Ciaran McNulty