[uf-discuss] Re: Standardized Representation of Microformats in PHP/other languages

Ciaran McNulty mail at ciaranmcnulty.com
Thu Apr 3 04:18:36 PST 2008

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 11:16 AM, Toby A Inkster <mail at tobyinkster.co.uk> wrote:
>  Agree 100%. Of course the json_decode() function was only added to PHP in
> (IIRC) version 5.1, but that needn't effect code which is simply aiming at
> outputting a structure that is equivalent to the output from json_decode.

I hadn't realised it was so recent - according to php.net it was added
in 5.2.  It is in the mainstream PHP though so is probably a good one
to go with - I'm a little wary of basing a specified behaviour on it
though - it's not that unheard of for PHP functions to start behaving
differently between point releases!

There appears to be a Zend::Json package that can decode() JSON -
simple testing makes it appear that it parses the JSON output of hKit
identically (when told to return an object rather than an array).

I've not seen any other widespread JSON parsing packages - I would
have thought PEAR would have one but they don't seem to.

-Ciaran McNulty