[uf-discuss] hcard: additional additional names

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 02:50:57 PDT 2008

2008/8/13, Michael Smethurst <Michael.Smethurst at bbc.co.uk>:
>  So my questions are:
>
>  1. can I just use <span class="additional-name">middle_name_1 middle_name_2
>  middle_name_3</span>?
>  Or should I use:

--- there is a subtle semantic difference. The first would produce a
vCard with 1 additional-name of "middle_name_1 middle_name_2
middle_name_3" whereas the second would produce 3 additional names,
all comma separated "middle_name_1,middle_name_2,middle_name_3"

So if the name was "Mary Pat" as an additional-name it might be 1
object, so you´d use the first method, if it was a definitely two
separate names, then i would probably use the second style and mark-up
each word individually.

>  3. Should I just collapse last_name_prefix and last_name into:
>  There doesn't seem to be a way of marking up last_name_prefix separately

--- I am assuming you are talking about something like "Ludwig van
Beethoven" were the second name is "van Beethoven". This will vary by
cultures, so there is probably no hard-n-fast rules for this... is
"van" part of the family name or is it additional or is it something
else completely? what about MacDougal, or O´Reilly? Adding some
semantics is certainly better than none, and will probably be a
judgement call on your part. You are correct, with vCard there isn't
any way to define last_name_prefix.

I hope this helps,

-brian

--