[uf-discuss] hcard: additional additional names

Ciaran McNulty mail at ciaranmcnulty.com
Fri Aug 15 09:05:20 PDT 2008

To add to the confusion I'll throw a few more data points in.

'Mc' prefixes are historically contractions of 'Mac', and names often
get the prefixes dropped.

I've seen the names McNulty, Nulty and MacNulty listed in surname lists:

a) Separately as you'd expect alphabetically
b) All together under N
c) Nulty separately with McNulty and MacNulty listed together in a
separate Mc section after the M section.

That said I think sorting is a bit out of scope for hCard and would
consider O'-, Fitz-, Mc- and Mac- prefixes to be parts of surnames,
nowadays.

-Ciaran McNulty