[uf-discuss] hcard: born and died and flourished

Michael Smethurst Michael.Smethurst at bbc.co.uk
Thu Aug 21 05:28:09 PDT 2008

Just wanted to run some stuff past people. I'm working with a table of
composers/artists and starting to markup birth and death dates. The cases
I've seen:

- both dates unknown
http://bbc-hackday.dyndns.org:1895/people/797

- date of death unknown
http://bbc-hackday.dyndns.org:1895/people/396

- date of birth unknown
http://bbc-hackday.dyndns.org:1895/people/28276

- date of birth and date of death known
http://bbc-hackday.dyndns.org:1895/people/16

- person still alive
http://bbc-hackday.dyndns.org:1895/people/1

- date of birth approximate
http://bbc-hackday.dyndns.org:1895/people/303

- date of death approximate
http://bbc-hackday.dyndns.org:1895/people/248

- both dates approximate
http://bbc-hackday.dyndns.org:1895/people/295

In some cases the dates are not birth and death but when the person
flourished:
http://bbc-hackday.dyndns.org:1895/people/410
In these cases all the above cases of unknown-ness and approximation may
also be true.

So I've added class='bday' to known dates of birth.

And I've decided to use class="dday" for date of death and
class='flourished-start' and class='flourished-end' for flourished dates

Where either date is circa I've included ca. in the span with bday, dday,
flourished-start or flourished-end:

Does this look /feel right or am I missing something obvious? Is there
established POSH for death date and flourished dates?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/