[uf-discuss] hcard authority?

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 10:04:38 PDT 2008

Hello James,

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 9:39 AM, James Tindall <james at atomless.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was just wondering if there's any existing mechanism for determining the authority of hcards?
>
> In other words, if a social graph query finds two hcards in different locations refering to the same person are there any guidlines for
> determining which should be considered authoritative if neither one has a rev value?

That's likely beyond the scope of the hCard spec.

Although I think people can become "creative" with figuring out that
kind of information.  Using information like...
- the domain's WHOIS information.
- the number of hCards on a domain.
- whether the hCard is on the homepage or not.
- a comparison of the various hCards out there for the person (to look
for matching data, conflicting data, etc)

etc, etc.

It will probably take some trial and error.... and an observation of
how people are using hCards (today)... to figure out an algorithm that
is "good enough".  (Over time, as people's usage of hCards changes,
you may need to change your algorithm.)

See ya

--
Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.