[uf-discuss] Potential for Microformats.org to work with W3C andRDFa Task Force

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Thu Aug 28 23:23:54 PDT 2008

Tantek Celik wrote:
> Completely agreed w all of Ben Ward's points.

Even the ones that seem to state that RDFa does not operate in the realm
of HTML? The reason I raise this point is that RDFa will be a W3C
standard, applicable to XHTML1.1 and XHTML2 by the end of October 2008
(roughly). We're in the process of working out a HTML4+RDFa DTD and
validator for HTML 4.01 as well.

This will cover all current HTML family languages, so stating that RDFa
is "outside" of HTML will only be accurate until the end of October
2008. After that, RDFa will be a part of all deployed HTML family languages.

> In addition - I would be very concerned that the microformats
> principles would be compromised by any such efforts as Manu suggests,
> and efficiency of parsing/parsers and other points listed are not
> worth compromising the principles.

Nobody is suggesting that anybody compromise their principles. What I'm
suggesting is that we may have figured out a way to bring a unified
semantic data processing mechanism to RDFa and the Microformats
community, across all current HTML family languages, without changing
either community's approach to semantic data markup.

If we're correct, it means a great deal of progress will have been made
in both communities - all I'm asking for is that we cooperate with the
W3C, are given the chance to do the work, and to see what falls out.

-- manu