[uf-discuss] hCard UID was: hatom tumblr theme

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Wed Dec 17 06:25:49 PST 2008

On [Dec 17], at [ Dec 17] 4:13 , Martin McEvoy wrote:

> The above does not make any sense (to me), UID in microformats 99%
> of the time is hooked on the URL value, URL's are *not* globally
> unique to people just unique to the domain

That may be true in some cases, but it's certainly not universally
true.  Here's a URL that is unique to you:

http://microformats.org/wiki/User:WebOrganics

Here's a URL that is unique to me:

http://microformats.org/wiki/User:ScottReynen

Those URLs are not OpenIDs, but are usable as UIDs.  It's not really
difficult to find such URLs; almost every site you use with an account
creates a URL that identifies you and only you.

> many people share urls with other people

Sure, and such URLs should not be used as UIDs.  The use of URLs as
UIDs does not suggest that *every* URL makes a good UID, just that
there are enough to be usable.

> Also there is a problem when exporting transformed vCards to your
> address book, If I have one hcard over there and another hcard over
> here same name and url+uid  but the rest of the contact information
> is different, wont my address book just write over any existing
> contacts with the same UID 's?.

That depends on your address book.  My address books prompt me to ask
what I want to do (choose one as more accurate, or consolidate the
information in both) when two vCards seem to identify the same person
(e.g. they have the same UID).  If your address book doesn't handle
consolidation well, that's a shortcoming of your address book, not
UIDs.  The UIDs only identify two vCards as describing the same
person; what applications choose to do with that information is up to
them.

Peace,
Scott