[uf-discuss] Re: Microformats, how are they used?

Toby A Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Fri Feb 8 04:34:05 PST 2008

Walter Logeman wrote:

> I have added a few new tags, rel="spouse", rel="colleague" on my
> WordPress blog I am curious how these get used.  I have installed
> Operator and Tail Export on Firefox, I can't see anything show up other
> than on the source file.

XFN isn't implemented particularly widely in client-side tools. Mostly
because there's a limit to how useful the data is to browsers. If your
browser knows that Joe Blogs is colleagues with John Citizen, then how
does that help you? What can the browser *do* with that knowledge?

However XFN is implemented in a few server-side places. For example,
certain social networks are able to import lists of friends, family and
colleagues from XFN-enabled web pages.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 9 days, 17:53.]

                       The Great IE8 Meta Tag Debacle
          http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/02/06/ie-8-meta-tag/