[uf-discuss] hCard to represent simple entities (was: Tentative proposal...)

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Thu Jan 3 16:34:35 PST 2008

In message <D0531DB4-856C-4CC9-BD56-4539D4D4AA13 at eatyourgreens.org.uk>,
Jim O'Donnell <jim at eatyourgreens.org.uk> writes

>> For clarity, the former can be distilled to:
>>
>>         hCard is for representing people, companies, organizations,
>>and
>>         places

>Reference strings, in TEI markup at least, can also refer to the  names
>of books, ships, plays, films and pretty much anything that can  be
>given a name. hCard works for people and places, but is it general
>enough to cover those cases?

I think ships are an edge-case for hCard.

For books, plays and films, I would think that's a job for a "citation"
microformat, once we have one (and one is surely needed).

[One could argue that a physical copy of a book could have an hCard,
with an extended-address of "Shelf 54, Floor 3, Anytown Library"; but
that's really stretching the logic.]

As for "pretty much anything", I'll leave that for others to decide ;-)

I'm not familiar with TEI:

        "a consortium which collectively develops and maintains a
        standard for the representation of texts in digital form. Its
        chief deliverable is a set of Guidelines which specify encoding
        methods for machine-readable texts, chiefly in the humanities,
        social sciences and linguistics.

        <http://www.tei-c.org/index.xml>

- what does it have to teach us?

--