[uf-discuss] hCard to represent simple entities

Jim O'Donnell jim at eatyourgreens.org.uk
Sat Jan 5 16:41:19 PST 2008

On 5 Jan 2008, at 20:07, Andy Mabbett wrote:

>> I don't, if hcard will do the job. But I also have to be able to mark
>> up the phrase 'William Hamilton's wife' with the name 'Emma
>> Hamilton',
>> using the same set of classes, to indicate that she's also  a person.
>
> If her name is elsewhere on the page,; use the "include-pattern".

Hmmm, there are accessibility standards that museum sites have to
achieve, which makes me nervous about using empty links without a
very good reason. This is also the reason why I'm against having the
<abbr> pattern on our sites at work.

Pepys Diary is a good example of what I have in mind for online
versions of historical manuscripts:
http://www.pepysdiary.com/
Wherever the original author makes a reference in their text to
another person, we've got the option of linking that reference to a
unique tag for that person, which could then present more info and an
index of all documents tagged with that tag. With a large enough data
set, we could cross reference tags to infer relationships between
people, places, vessels and whatever else we represent with tags.
That's something that's been at the back of my mind to do with the
existing keywords in the Maritime Museum's prints & drawings archive.

The more I think about this, the more it seems like rel-tag, with
some additional contextual info, is the most elegant solution to
handling the problem of how to handle the TEI <rs> tag in HTML.

> If not, you're introducing "hidden metadata".

I don't think so - that's covered in the rel-tag spec, so I'm fine
with using tags in this manner. See:
http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-tag#Tags_Are_Visible_Metadata

Cheers
Jim