[uf-discuss] hCard: url and tel

Katrina Kaz at t-tec.com.au
Mon Jan 7 16:01:03 PST 2008

Tantek Çelik wrote:
> On 1/7/08 2:42 PM, "Andy Mabbett" <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> In message <C3A7E2D2.9A3C3%tantek at cs.stanford.edu>, Tantek Çelik
>> <tantek at cs.stanford.edu> writes

>>> title attribute is displayed in tool-tips
>> in some, but far from all, browsers.
>>
>>       <http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#h-7.4.3>
>>
>>       Values of the title attribute may be rendered by user agents in
>>       a variety of ways.
>>

> Data in the class attribute is a known anti-pattern.  Not a new issue.

I admit I am new to microformats, however, I have always understood
class attributes to hold a type of data: meta-data. They describe what
sort of data that particular element holds. So if you have a list of
books, instead of giving it a class attribute of red or blue, it should
be labeled "books".

Or more pertinent to the microformats, class="vcard". vcard is meta-data
saying that this particular element holds a vcard.

Reading this:
http://microformats.org/wiki/anti-patterns#data_in_class_attributes

I just don't seem to understand how the Microformats community decides
what sort of meta-data is acceptable and what others aren't?

I also thought that Microformats were to take human data and translate
that into machine-readable. In order to do so, context needs to be
translated to make it machine readable.

If you come across a business selling something, as a human, you can
determine that it is work related, and it doesn't need to be labeled
'work'. However, a machine cannot make that distinction and needs to be
explicitly told. How does the Microformats community then allow people
normal contextual communication but also specifies the contextual data
for machines?

Surely the way to do that is through meta-data?

Kat