[uf-discuss] Hcard - marking up sms short codes

Guillaume Lebleu gl at brixlogic.com
Tue Jan 8 12:07:50 PST 2008

Philip Tellis wrote:
> On 08/01/2008, Jim O'Donnell <jim at eatyourgreens.org.uk> wrote:
>
>>> I don't understand this.  Why can't type=cell be dialled for voice
>>> calls?
>>>

>> I think the problem is that they can, but SMS short numbers can't.
>>

> so should there be a way to distinguish voice enabled numbers from SMS
> only numbers and data only numbers?

SMS support is currently implied from 'cell' TEL TYPE in implementation
I know of (ex. Window Mobile / Apple iPhone).

Right now, we just currently can't have a non 'cell' phone number
described as supporting SMS, which is the case of short codes.

Adding a TEL TYPE value 'sms' seems to be a viable possible option. It
is just another "service" available @ the phone number, just like voice,
fax, etc.

Guillaume