[uf-discuss] xfn and biographies

Jim O'Donnell jim at eatyourgreens.org.uk
Mon Jan 21 14:11:12 PST 2008

Hello,

At work, I'm kicking around microformats as a method for adding
additional semantic information to archives - letters, diary entries,
log books and so on. I blogged a little about this already - using
rel-tag to tie together related materials:
http://eatyourgreens.org.uk/archives/2008/01/microformats_an_1.html

Does anyone have any thoughts on using xfn (or some variant thereof)
to add machine-readable relationships to published biographies? Or in
general, to express the relationships that exist within the network
of people associated with an archive of published writing? A specific
example is the link from
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/flinders/ListPeople.cfm?ID=41
to http://www.nmm.ac.uk/flinders/ListPeople.cfm?ID=96 (near the end
of the biography) where I could potentially mark that Ann is the
daughter of Matthew. If xfn is embedded inside a hcard, does it refer
to the person referenced by the hcard as the source of the
relationship? Would I also need to somehow markup "Flinders, Matthew"
with a URL so it's explicit, to a parser, which Matthew Flinders
we're talking about?

Also, the rel attribute on links seems handy for expressing
relationships between letters and their authors, or letters and their
recipients, or even letters in a series of correspondence. Does
anyone know if there are any examples of this out there already?

I'll try to mock up some prototype pages next month, but thought I'd
get comments from people with practical experience of using
microformats before I start.

Thanks
Jim

Jim O'Donnell