[uf-discuss] Re: xfn and biographies

Jim O'Donnell jim at eatyourgreens.org.uk
Sat Jan 26 08:53:12 PST 2008

On 23 Jan 2008, at 20:44, Toby A Inkster wrote:

> Jim O'Donnell wrote:
>
>> Also, the rel attribute on links seems handy for expressing
>> relationships between letters and their authors, or letters and their
>> recipients, or even letters in a series of correspondence. Does
>> anyone
>> know if there are any examples of this out there already?
>
> rel/rev="made" is in common usage. You could use rel="made" when
> linking
> from author to letter, and rev="made" for the reverse relationship.

letter-to-author is the relationship I'm really interested in, in the
sense of 'show me all letters by the same author' or 'show me all
correspondence in this series'. Rev seems a bit of a dead-end, but I
had thought of maybe using rel="author" on a link to the author. Or I
could go for consistency with Dublin Core, since that's commonly used
in archives, and use rel="creator".

Has anyone done any work on simple microformat class names based on
the Dublin Core element set?

> To link letters in a series of correspondence there is of course
> rel="next" and rel="prev". Also rel="first" and rel="last" may
> prove easy,
> and rel="contents" to get back to the full listing of letters.

Yeah, that's what I'd thought of doing but I hadn't considered the
fact that each letter is several pages in itself. So there's next and
in the context of moving between letters in a series.

I don't think there'll be one definitive table of contents. I'm not
decided on this yet, but at the moment I envisage several methods of
listing the contents - indexed by author, by time, by recipient or by
places and vessels referenced within the text.

> Not sure about linking recipients to letters. You may need to
> define your
> own rel/rev="recipient".

That would make sense. Looking at the texts, I've realised that the
recipient is not always the person that the letter is addressed to.
Eg. he addresses a letter to Rev. Tyler but it's intended for his
wife. I think I may have to publish author and recipient alongside
each letter, rather than marking them up directly in his text.

Cheers
Jim

Jim O'Donnell
jim at eatyourgreens.org.uk