[uf-discuss] Possible alternative methods for "include"

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Mon Jan 28 17:31:54 PST 2008

I'm standing back from this discussion until I've updated the include-
pattern documentation itself, since I feel my participation would be
premature otherwise. The update following on our research at Yahoo is
drafted and will happen once I've cleared a handful of other items
from my actions list.

In the meantime…

On 26 Jan 2008, at 16:35, Jim O'Donnell wrote:
> Is the include pattern really necessary, for hResume at least?
> Given that each hCard describing a previous position is enclosed
> inside a hResume, and given that the resume itself has a card with
> contact details, including an fn for a person, can't a parser allow
> the enclosed hCards to inherit the fn from that top-level hCard?

This strikes me as absolutely the correct way to consider the
problem. Off the top of my head the only spec which has an absolute
demand for including no content-text is hResume — hReview is
generally reusing an entire item, such that a small piece of relevant
inner text is not duplication to the same degree.

If this is a valid problem, then revisiting hResume to see whether it
still _needs_ to use the include pattern at all would be a better
first step than jumping straight in with a mark-up solution.

I defer to hResume experts for feedback on that. But confirmation of
the continued include-pattern requirement would be appreciated.

Ben