[uf-discuss] Human and machine readable data format

Toby A Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Tue Jul 15 06:48:17 PDT 2008

Bob Jonkman wrote:

> On 14 Jul 2008 at 21:54, Toby A Inkster wrote:
>
> > So there will be cases where people want to publish non-Gregorian
> > dates, but for interoperability with iCalendar, they'll need to
> > include a machine-readable Gregorian equivalent date.
>
> Actually, not necessary.  The iCalendar spec [1] contains a property
> CALSCALE that can be used to specify the "scale" of the calendar.
> I'm not sure if any CALSCALE property values other than "GREGORIAN"
> are defined, but that's the way to use alternate calendars.

For practical purposes it is necessary to include a machine-readable
Gregorian date. Although the CALSCALE property does exist, the only
valid value defined for it is "GREGORIAN".

> Right now CALSCALE is not in the hCalendar property list [2] but it
> could be...

Cognition <http://buzzword.org.uk/cognition/> will actually parse
class="calscale" found within an element with class="vcalendar" (but,
not within class="vevent"), and will include it in RDF and iCalendar
output.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail at tobyinkster.co.uk>