[uf-discuss] HTML 5 data- attributes

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 04:48:42 PDT 2008

2008/7/16 Frances Berriman <fberriman at gmail.com>:
> On 16/07/2008, André Luís <andr3.pt at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Custom DTDs for HTML, adding new namespaces to XHTML... I believe this
>>  is a whole new path for microformats that needs to be assessed whether
>>  we actually _need_ to go.
>
> Well, as of *now* it's not about "need" so much as "want".  Custom
> DTDs and new namespaces etc. just aren't in the realm of what
> microformats are doing, or should be doing, at the moment.

--- the other reason microformats work so well is that they compliment
already existing, widely deployed technologies. We should avoid
hanging any design patterns on a format that has yet little or no
adoption.  We should focus on a solution that works in HTML 4.0 on the
billions of pages that are already published. If and when other
technologies emerge, we can solve problems then, no need to spend the
effort on early adopter edge-cases at the moment.

-brian

--
brian suda
http://suda.co.uk