[uf-discuss] microformat based web search

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Fri Jun 20 07:24:13 PDT 2008

On [Jun 20], at [ Jun 20] 7:17 , rob smith wrote:

> Hello,
>
> If I am right, one of the primary objectives of using microformats
> is to be able to retrieve the desired information from web pages
> around the world easily and reliably.
>
> In connection with this, I'd like to know which all search engines
> support the "microformat based web search". In other words, how do I
> do a "microformat based web search" using a search engine like
> google/yahoo/technorati? e.g. how do I query for all events
> happening around the world on July 16, 2008?

Hi Rob,

I'm not aware of any way to do this in Google.  Here's the search in
Yahoo:

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=searchmonkeyid%3Acom.yahoo.uf.hcalendar+%222008-07-16%22

Technorati's microformats search is currently "back in the oven to
bake some more," but if it were working, I think that search would be
something like this:

http://kitchen.technorati.com/event/search/%222008-07-16%22

Eventful is also pulling in hCalendar events, which you can search by
date like so:

http://eventful.com/denver/events?t=2008071800-2008071823

All of that said, I'm not sure I'd call global search one of the
primary objectives of microformats.  For me it's much more important
that I be able to reuse information on a page I've already found,
which I can already do well enough with plain text searches.  There's
definitely a lot of potential to be able to do complex searches, e.g.
events in the next month within 50 miles of Denver, CO with attendees
whose job title includes "web" and who work at organizations with URLs
including blog posts within the past month with "microformat" in the
title.  And that's theoretically possible with existing microformats.
But that's also just a first step.  The really interesting stuff, for
me at least, happens after you find that data and begin to use it in
new ways.

Peace,
Scott