[uf-discuss] Object param pattern rejection

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Fri Jun 20 14:32:30 PDT 2008

On the abbr-design-pattern page, markup rejections section [1] is the
following text:

> OBJECT with param value. (requires significant extra markup and CSS
> in order to *behave* correctly)

Can anyone provide more detail about this parenthetical rejection
explanation?  I vaguely recall discussion about this, something
specific to Safari I think, but couldn't find it in the archive.  I've
done some quick testing and <object>s seem to render cleanly as block
elements, as do <param>s.  The latter surprised me, as I didn't expect
an empty <param> to render at all.  Was that the problem with this
proposal or was it something else?  I'm wondering if <object> and
<param> could be feasible in any context for semantic markup, or if
there's just a specific subset of contexts in which we've seen a
problem.

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/abbr-design-pattern-alternatives#Markup_Rejections

Peace,
Scott