[uf-discuss] RE: Microformats and RDFa not as far apart as previously thought

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Mon Jun 30 10:11:20 PDT 2008

I'd like to make a very important point.

On 30 Jun 2008, at 10:38, Breton Slivka wrote:

> if you violate #1, Tantek steps
> in and says you can't do that. Since it's difficult to overcome the
> influence and authority of Tantek in this community, comprimising #3
> is the only way you can go. Otherwise the argument is just going to go
> around in circles forever.

To quote the wiki:

   “Microformats are not controlled by any individual or organization”
		— http://microformats.org/wiki/microformats#microformats_are_not

Disagreement within community members is always likely, such is the
nature of community. At this point in this community's life, no one
person is more important than another, and if that were ever to be the
case, the community and the effort of microformats generally will
suffer greatly.

When someone says you ‘can't’ do something, it's likely in the context
of the microformats principals. Someone saying ‘no’ cannot be backed
up only by their reputation and stature. ‘Citation needed’, is perhaps
the most succinct requirement.

The most worrying thing about this message is that anyone should
perceive the direction of this community as being dictated by one
personality's viewpoint. That is not the case, and the microformats
effort will fall apart if it ever was. To make decisions pre-emptively
out of this misperception is not going to lead us to the best solutions.

Additionally, it may well be that we're dealing with a problem right
now calls for an exception to a principal. I'm not aware that we've
ever consciously made exceptions before, so there's no precedent. As
such, the justification for and the scope of such exception needs to
be _very clearly documented_ and approached thoroughly. The
justification for making an exception needs to be held to very careful
scrutiny.