[uf-discuss] Re: hAtom question

Ciaran McNulty mail at ciaranmcnulty.com
Mon Mar 10 08:39:56 PST 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 4:23 PM, David Janes <davidjanes at blogmatrix.com> wrote:
> this will all be up for grabs soon if
>  you have an opinion!

I think the part of the hAtom spec that says:

"If the Entry Author is missing

    * find the Nearest In Parent <address> element(s) with class name
author and that is/are a valid hCard
    * otherwise the entry is invalid hAtom "

Should be amended to:

"If the Entry Author is missing

    * find the Nearest In Parent <address> element(s) with class name
author and that is/are a valid hCard
    * if there is no suitable <address> find the Nearest In Parent
element(s) with class name author and that is/are a valid hCard
    * if there is/are no element(s) with class name author find the
Nearest In Parent element(s) that is/are a valid hCard
    * otherwise the entry is invalid hAtom "

In the interest of making it as easy as possible to specify an author.
 I think the <address class="author vcard"> will still need to be
matched 'first' to allow for the existing published content that has
managed to comply with the parsing rules as they stand.

It's also worth noting that the high occurance of invalid feeds has
meant that nearly all feed readers can cope with a missing AUTHOR
element in an Atom feed.

-Ciaran McNulty