[uf-discuss] Unjust banning of Andy Mabbett

Eric A. Meyer eric at meyerweb.com
Thu Mar 13 12:58:17 PST 2008

At 4:45 PM -0500 3/8/08, Manu Sporny wrote:

>With respect, I have no idea how Drew McLellan, Eric A. Meyer, and Dan
>Cederholm became admins. Is there a secret handshake? Were they voted
>into the position? How are these things done?

    Sorry, I missed this bit until just now.
    I can only speak for myself.  As I understand it, I was invited to
be an admin because I co-authored XFN; did early supporting work in
developing the general principles of microformats; and have a lot of
experience in e-mail list administration.  There was no handshake so
far as I recall, unless you count the ones that take place between
e-mail and IM servers.  (Do communication protocols even use
"handshakes" any more?)
    I don't think anyone's ever been voted into the position of
anything in the microformats community, because it's really not a
process-driven kind of place.  There's no process for approving new
microformats, for example, so it doesn't much surprise me that
there's no hard process for things like appointing list
administrators.  Heck, back in the days of creating XFN, our only
process was that we looked at established usage patterns to derive
values, pared down our list of possible values fairly ruthlessly, and
didn't include anything that didn't get a unanimous approval of the
three of us.  And then we wrote it up.  That was it.

--
Eric A. Meyer (eric at meyerweb.com)     http://meyerweb.com/