[uf-discuss] Actual research regarding usage of rel-me, rel-contact, and friends. WAS: Social Networks that use XFN and Social Networks that use FOAF

Costello, Roger L. costello at mitre.org
Wed Mar 19 03:02:51 PST 2008

Awesome job Derrick!

Thanks!

/Roger

-----Original Message-----
From: microformats-discuss-bounces at microformats.org
[mailto:microformats-discuss-bounces at microformats.org] On Behalf Of
Derrick Lyndon Pallas
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:18 AM
To: Microformats Discuss
Subject: [uf-discuss] Actual research regarding usage of rel-me,
rel-contact, and friends. WAS: Social Networks that use XFN and Social
Networks that use FOAF

Out of a sample of ~150k sites with some XFN, the following XFN rels
are
used, in order of frequency. (That is, one site gets one vote for an
XFN
rel used somewhere on the site.)

    me    65.46%
    friend    31.82%
    met    20.81%
    colleague    19.56%
    co-worker    14.46%
    contact    11.15%
    neighbor    5.00%
    co-resident    4.45%
    sweetheart    3.72%
    sibling    3.03%
    spouse    2.85%
    muse    2.79%
    parent    2.25%
    crush    1.86%
    kin    1.83%
    date    1.12%
    child    1.12%
    acquaintance    0.14%

Out of a sample of ~15M pages with XFN, the following XFN rels are
used,
in order of frequency. (That is, one page gets one vote for an XFN rel
used somewhere on the page.)

    me    71.051%
    friend    22.403%
    colleague    13.929%
    met    13.247%
    co-worker    11.306%
    contact    11.182%
    neighbor    3.618%
    co-resident    2.940%
    parent    2.698%
    sweetheart    2.094%
    muse    1.707%
    spouse    1.652%
    sibling    1.398%
    crush    1.073%
    kin    0.942%
    acquaintance    0.641%
    date    0.612%
    child    0.603%

So, while a large number of sites that use XFN do have "me" somewhere,
35% don't. Furthermore, while the statement by Chris Messina[1] is
corrent in asserting that "me" and "contact" are widely used, it is not

based on solid research.

The above data indicates that "contact" is not nearly as supreme as
"me," which is in a different league altogether. On the contrary,
"friend," "met," "colleague," and "co-worker" are at least as widely
used as "contact." The discrepancy appears to be bias towards the short

head of the usage curve.

Furthermore, I don't think anyone has really done a survey of
non-English usage. I certainly haven't. Many of the sites that I've
found that do use more than "me" are non-English, but certainly should
not be discounted.

Here is a random sampling of sites that do use XFN and the rels are
used
by each in the last six months and are in the long tail.

ziki.com        colleague friend me met muse spouse

topspeed.com    contact friend

birdz.sk        friend me neighbor

pushhit.com     met

majoke.com      co-worker friend met

bloguje.cz      child co-resident co-worker colleague contact crush
date
friend kin me met muse neighbor parent sibling spouse sweetheart

11870.com       contact me

inter.co.yu     co-resident colleague contact friend me met neighbor

finaltr.com     friend muse

tractorfan.nl   colleague kin me

botonturbo.com  co-resident colleague contact friend me met

tecnosquad.com  acquaintance co-resident colleague contact friend me
met

giovani.it      child date friend me met muse

wolkanca.com    co-resident co-worker contact crush date friend me met
muse spouse sweetheart

~D

[1]
http://factoryjoe.com/blog/2008/03/11/portable-contact-lists-and-the-ca