[uf-discuss] Proposal: Mandatory connection of a XFN to a "source" hCard and a "target" hCard

Dan Brickley danbri at danbri.org
Wed Mar 19 05:20:08 PST 2008

On 19 Mar 2008, at 12:36, Costello, Roger L. wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Below is a proposal.  The proposal is based on the following
> assertion.
>
> ASSERTION
>
> An expression of a relationship is useful only if you know who is the
> source and who is the target of the relationship.

I agree there are issues here, but I doubt you'll get very far trying
to mandate things, especially if you're after changes at *both* ends
of the hyperlink. On the Web, I don't want standards geeks (even my
friends!) telling me just how much or how little I must say about
myself in my own pages. Even if I don't say much about myself in http://danbri.org/
  it is still my homepage, and people are free to point rel=friend
links at it. There's value in connectivity, even without the extra
profile fields. It could be used to identify common friends, RSS feeds
etc.

In other words, it's not place of microformats, or of FOAF or of W3C
or of Web site owners to instruct folk on how much they have to say
about themselves online. We simply provide vocabulary and formats and
leave it to best practice and convention and users and toolmakers and
publishers. As far as I understand the microformat approach, from
talking with Tantek and others, it shares this characteristic with the
FOAF/RDF design: very little is mandatory. Unlike some XML formats
which are full of 'must' requirements, both microformats and FOAF/RDF
live in a Webby world where 'missing isn't broken' and apps have to
make sense of (and aggregate across) partial information.

You should also btw note that rel=me is a special case, and in fact an
exception to your main argument. For example I could reciprocally
assert <https://identoo.com/danbri/> xfn:me <http://friendfeed.com/danbri
 > . If this was in both pages, any self-description in the one page
would apply to the other, reducing need for further duplication
(whether in hcard or FOAF or whatever format).

cheers,

Dan

--
http://danbri.org/