[uf-discuss] rel-license: what does the license apply to? (open issue revisited)

Ian McKellar ian at mckellar.org
Wed Mar 19 15:22:08 PST 2008

Then how do you specify the license for different elements of the page?

Perhaps making your video embeds an iframe that contains the
embed/object and its own rel-license would be the best set of hoops to
jump through.

This is where RDFa starts to shine. I don't think there's a good way
in microformats to set the subject of your triple
(subject/predicate/object) to be anything other than the whole current
page.

In the wild people seem to publish conflicting information. For
example Flickr use rel-license to say that my photo pages are CC
licensed and then at the bottom of the page there's a separate Yahoo
copyright message that is not marked up with microformats.

Ian

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 8:32 PM, Angus McIntyre <angus at pobox.com> wrote:
> I'm in the process of adding 'rel="license"' in the relevant places on
> blip.tv, a video-sharing site, and I've run squarely into the 'open issue'
> raised by Evan on 2006-04-07 (in the wiki). Namely, there's no obvious way
> to specify that the license applies to a content element on a page - a
> picture, a video - rather than the page as a whole.
>
> About all I can think of is that a second rel value is needed, so you'd
> have something like:
>
>  <link rel="license"
> href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/" />
>  <link rel="licensed" href="http://example.com/myvideo.flv" />
>  <link rel="licensed" href="http://example.com/myvideo.mov" />
>
> The interpretation would be:
>
>   If one or more hyperlinks with 'rel=licensed' are found, the items
> referenced
>   are covered by the license (but the page as a whole is not).
>
>   if no hyperlinks with 'rel=licensed' are found, the license refers to
> the page as a whole.
>
> This has the advantage of only complicating things a little ... but it
> also has the flaw that it can't deal with the case where you have multiple
> content items covered by different licenses on the same page (which is a
> not unlikely scenario).
>
> I seem to remember one of the microformats has a poorly-understood
> algorithm for determining the scope of a declaration; could this be
> reapplied here?
>
> Angus

Ian McKellar <http://ian.mckellar.org/>
+1 415 867 9255
ian at mckellar.org: email | jabber | msn
ianloic: flickr | aim | yahoo | skype | linkedin | etc.