[uf-discuss] Using microformats for automation of user input

John Allsopp john at westciv.com
Wed Mar 19 20:34:12 PST 2008

Hi Victor,

> Is anybody aware of implementation or research on the topic of
> microformat usage for automation of user input? It is obvious that
> attaching microformat to said HTML form fields makes it possible for
> automation software to provide known values for them, without user
> interaction. This is particularly useful from the point of view of
> automatic service provisioning and application integration.
>
> However I was unable to find tracks of microformats usage for this
> purposes on the web...

It's long occurred to me that this would be of no small value,
particularly in the context of devices where text input is more of a
pain than standard keyboards - things with virtual keyboards, sms
keyboards, and so on.

There is in fact ECML

http://xml.coverpages.org/ecml.html

which has a degree of support in various browsers auto complete
algorithms. Because common ecommerce form fields go beyond the
vocabularies of hCard, hCalendar, and so on, I wonder what value there
might be in considering the microformatization of ECML (yeah yeah, tat
last sentence should probably be in the new mailing list ;-)

Can't really determine how much traction ECML has got with publishers
(Google might be able to tell us)

HTH at least a little

john