[uf-discuss] Re: A (big) problem with XFN: identity of source andtarget not findable

Toby A Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Thu Mar 20 08:17:35 PST 2008

Costello, Roger L. wrote:

> The purpose of a representative hCard is to identify itself as "Hey,
> look at me, I am the author of this page."

Correction: the representative hCard may not represent the author of the
page. For example, the representative hCard on the Wikipedia entry for
Julius Caesar would normally be an hCard for Julius Caesar. But Julius
Caesar is not the author of the page.

The representative hCard is the contact information for the person or
organisation that the page is supposed to, in some way "represent".

> Back to the robot ... it looks for the representative hCard and finds
> it.  It now knows half of the relationship, i.e. Alice Jones is friends
> with ??? To get the other half, the robot follows the link to Bob's
> web page, finds the representative hCard on that web page

An optimisation: Alice may already have an hCard for Bob on her page. In
which case the robot is wasting time and bandwidth if it needs to download
Bob's page. So if Alice's page has an hCard with a UID property set to the
same URL as the target of the XFN link, this hCard may be used instead.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 2 days, 17:58.]

                              The Semantic Web
                http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/03/09/sw/