[uf-discuss] How to avoid building erroneous social network graphs?

Dan Brickley danbri at danbri.org
Thu Mar 27 01:59:44 PST 2008

On 27 Mar 2008, at 07:34, Ciaran McNulty wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 7:32 PM, Costello, Roger L.
> <costello at mitre.org> wrote:
>> friend <a
>> href="Sally.html" rel="friend">Sally</a> some time.</p>
>
> If a page has @rel="me" links then it shouldn't really be allowing
> comments that can attempt to build social graphs.
>
> The simplest way to stop it is to add @rel="nofollow" to any comment
> links - this has the effect of negating any XFN values in the links,
> as well as preventing linkspamming and all sort of other good stuff.

Where is this interaction specified? Should a compliant XFN parser not
emit any data from elements where it finds rel=nofollow? Does that
extend to all Microformats.org ('big M') microformats?

> As others have said, this is a publishing issue rather than a parsing
> issue.  A page that is linked to with @rel="me", and then allows
> outbound XFN values authored by people who are not the representative,
> is broken.

Presumably they could *author* the links, but they just have to bear
in mind that (if the claims in the page are ever to be true) those
links describe the person who is the 'primary topic' (or 'owner') of
the page.

cheers,

Dan

--