[uf-discuss] Digg Rolls Out DataPortability Enhancements

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Thu May 1 19:34:45 PDT 2008

Surprised the semantic story du jour hasn't been posted to this list
yet. Congrats to the XFN, and hCard folks :)

http://blog.digg.com/?p=120

PS: Steve Williams is a good guy - he really does care about this stuff.

Digg Rolls Out DataPortability Enhancements
by Steve Williams at 12pm, May 1st, 2008 in Digg Website

Hey all,

The Data Sharing Summit in San Francisco was a gas. It was a real
pleasure to work with like-minded people from organizations, large and
small, all supporting DataPortability.

At the Summit I had the chance to show off Digg’s latest DataPortability
enhancements. Although the enhancements are not visible on Digg.com, if
you use Digg together with other social networks, these enhancements can
make the Web more fun and useful.

Among the recent enhancements:

- We’ve added XFN to your user profile. XFN is an open standard that
makes it easier for other social Web sites to recognize your Digg friends.

- We’ve improved support for hCard, another open data format for
communicating Digg user names, nicknames, and photos, so that your
favorite friend-following tools can more easily display your friends’
activity.

- We’ve added RDFa, making Digg part of the “semantic web” where Web
pages become more sophisticated, beyond simply words and pictures.

These efforts support our philosophy that you own your data.

Thanks,

sbw