[uf-discuss] Request for help from screen reader users from the BBC

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Thu May 22 08:29:17 PDT 2008

On [May 22], at [ May 22] 7:46 , Martin McEvoy wrote:

> Hmm It seems to me that the microformats community seems to find it
> difficult to resolve the abbr design issue[1], its been over a year
> now?

This is difficult to solve because we lack the resources to do testing
with screen reader users.  The current pattern was established without
such testing.  If that was a mistake, let's not repeat it.  (And if
that wasn't a mistake, there's no need to change anything.)

> I cant see why we cant accept the hAccessibility[2] solution and be
> done
> with it and just use a <span>, I believe most screen readers are not
> set
> up to read out loud the @title on a span by default.

Has anyone tested this in various screen readers?  If not, on what
basis would we accept it?

> Oh well hopefully the abbr issue can be resolved amicably this time
> around as there seems to be a few "usable" resolutions[4], if not,
> lets
> all talk about it again Next Year

I don't think talking about it more is helping much at this point.
We're mostly rehashing the same ideas over and over again.  What we
need, and what Frances is asking for, is help testing these various
ideas.

Peace,
Scott