[uf-discuss] Request for help from screen reader users from the BBC

Michael Smethurst Michael.Smethurst at bbc.co.uk
Thu May 22 09:38:04 PDT 2008

On 22/5/08 17:23, "Alasdair King" <alasdairking at gmail.com> wrote:

>> There has been some testing, that will hopefully be published soon,
>> but it's not definitive (since there's not much data on how most SR
>> users have their setups).  That's all :)
>
> Sorry, I meant of course "I infer that they've tested the default
> settings of the screenreaders..."

My screenreader knowledge is minimal but iplayer have tested hCal on a
variety of outa the box screenreaders (sorry, can't give a full list - I'll
try and hunt it down). By default they all had abbreviation expansion turned
off and ufs passed with a  clean bill of health

I believe we also did very, very limited at home testing. Of 4 users 2 had
abbreviation expansion turned on. It's a stupidly low sample size which is
why we're appealing to screenreader users to help us out

It wouldn't be so much of a problem if it was just one hCal per page but for
a schedule day view we have quite a number:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/programmes/schedules/fm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/