[uf-discuss] Rationale for providing hAtom instead of Atom/RSS feeds

André Luís andr3.pt at gmail.com
Wed May 28 05:12:55 PDT 2008

Thanks everyone. I'll try to reply to every comment individually.
(removed original comments to keep it short)

David: I wasn't suggesting "replacing" atom/rss... I wanted to ask for
use-cases or motivation to markup content that is also available
through atom/rss feeds with hatom. My English betrayed me on that
title, I guess. :)

Zhang Zhen: yes, hslices are a good reason. if nothing else, provides
alternative ways of subscribing to content. via atom/rss feeds &
hatom/hslice in IE8.

Toby: I can see why you'd want to do that, in terms of proof of
concept, but in the real world it's not a convincing "advantage".
Unless you're limited in terms of features, like a blog @
wordpress.com.

Mark Ng: Whoa! Never thought of that... it would be cool if there was
a way to paginate hatom feeds like xfn with rel="next". Is there?

Brian: That seems like a good argument... but only if crawlers
actually use that increased semantic value. I have no data about that.

If someone else still has more examples of use-cases, I'd be happy to
hear them.
--
André Luís