[uf-discuss] Next/Prev [was Rationale for providing hAtom instead of Atom/RSS feeds]

Toby A Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Fri May 30 09:40:33 PDT 2008

> Toby, wasn't that what Zhang said? or did you just move the
> emphasis? :P

Yes, the emphasis -- that rel=next/prev indicates relationships
between *two* hAtom feeds.

> I was trying to come up with some situations where people would put a
> <link> to the next page within a document with an hAtom feed and NOT
> want to mean the next page (linked in the <link>) is also the next
> page of hatom. I couldn't.

I don't currently use hAtom on my site, out of concern for
accessibility and the datetime pattern. However, imagine that I were
to use hAtom to mark up the comments on my blog. Now, my blog
articles include links to the next/prev articles in the side bar,
marked up with rel=next/prev. I wouldn't want the hAtom comment feed
for an article to automatically include comments from the next and
previous articles! Each article has a separate comment feed --
rel=next/prev shouldn't join them together.

> I think it makes sense to allow the inclusion of an A/LINK element
> with rel="next" inside the hAtom feed. If someone doesn't want <link
> rel="next"> to be considered for the hatom feed, just declare explicit
> the hFeed and leave the <link> outside.

Indeed, but rel=next/prev should indicate the next and previous
feeds, not a continuation of the current feed. This would be more in
line with the current meaning of rel=next/prev which indicate the
next and previous pages in a sequence -- not a continuation of the
current resource intended to be rendered as a single page.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail at tobyinkster.co.uk>