[uf-discuss] Appeal for Issues: Empty spans in value-excerption-pattern

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Fri Nov 7 12:48:19 PST 2008

On [Nov 7], at [ Nov 7] 12:40 , Rob Crowther wrote:

> 2008/11/7 Scott Reynen <scott at randomchaos.com>:
>> Not as a valid dtstart value, no.  The title attribute is only
>> parsed when
>> the value element is empty, so that would parse with an invalid
>> dtstart
>> value containing the entire sentence.  See:
>>
> Sorry, I mucked up my copy and pasting, this is what I meant:

> Barack Obama was elected the first African American president of the
> United States of American, and he was really pleased about it, on 4th
> November 2008</span>
>
> Basically I'm not clear how forcing the empty element to be the first
> thing guarantees that it will then be close to the plain text date.
> Forcing it to be anywhere would seem to guarantee there are situations
> where it can't be close to where the plain text date is if the
> original example is valid, because it's easy enough to have that
> sentence the other way around.

It only minimizes drift in the context of good markup, i.e. classes
surrounding only the content they actually describe.  In the context
of bad markup, such as your example where "Barack Obama" is improperly
labeled as "dtstart", this doesn't really help.  But it doesn't really
hurt either.  The root of the markup drift here has nothing to do with
the "value" class and everything to do with the "dtstart" class.  The
above should (and in most cases easily could) be:

> Barack Obama was elected the first African American president of the
> United States of American, and he was really pleased about it, on
> span>4th
> November 2008</span>

Peace,
Scott