[uf-discuss] hCard slowing adoption of microformats?

André Luís andr3.pt at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 06:44:48 PST 2008

Samuel,

Yes, it's a recurring concern, however, microformats don't deal with
authorization. That's stuff for other protocols (openid, oauth). What
they do is markup existing data, stuff that you're already publishing.

Now, you can establish a scenario where public hcards only markup a
small amount of information (fn, url, country...) but, if on your
website you have a social network, you can reveal more data to your
friends. ie, if one of your friends is logged in and visits your
profile, your data is far more detailed: (fn, email, full address,
date of birth, etc).

Or you can use a whitelist of openids that can access your full details.

The point is... microformats allow you to represent data in
recognizable fashion. How you decide how many information to publish,
is out of the scope of microformats.

At least, this is how I see it and how it's been discussed here
before. Please, correct me, anyone, if I'm wrong.

Cheers,
André Luís