[uf-discuss] Multiple vote-links

Bruno Barberi Gnecco bruno at likeorhate.com
Tue Jun 9 08:10:02 PDT 2009

> On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 18:17 -0300, Bruno Barberi Gnecco wrote:
>> We are using vote-links extensively in our new site (likeorhate.com)
>
> And doing so wrongly. VoteLinks are a badly named microformat. They are
> *not* for polling. They are for linking to articles about stuff you like
> or dislike.
>
> e.g.
>
> 	I like <a rev="vote-for" href="/cheese">cheese</a>,
> 	but not <a rev="vote-against" href="/broccoli">broccoli</a>.
>
> That means that this page counts as a "vote for cheese" and a "vote
> against broccoli". Although votelinks is unclear on the semantics - do I
> like cheese, or do I like that particular page about cheese?
>
> VoteLinks are quite muddy and their meaning is pretty unclear. With
> RDFa, you can state each of those meanings unambiguously.
>
> If you like cheese (the page), then:

> 	  I like <a rel="like:likes" href="/cheese">cheese</a>.
>
> If you like cheese (the food), then (a little more complicated):

> 	   xmlns:like="http://ontologi.es/like#"
> 	   xmlns:foaf="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/">
> 	  I like
> 	    <a rev="foaf:primaryTopic" href="/cheese"
> 	       property="foaf:name">cheese</a>

	Strangely, no "I don't like" in that ontology? I see Opinion could be used for it, but...

> However, for a polling site, neither votelinks nor the example above are
> appropriate. You're not trying to capture the meaning that "this page is
> about something I like" - you're trying to capture the meaning of "this
> link is for voting". I don't know of a microformat, or indeed an RDF
> vocabulary, that covers that meaning, but I can certainly see value in
> creating one.

	Thanks for the clarification. Since their meaning is unclear (as you and the FAQ
state), why not let them be used for this purpose as well? I suppose with a class or
another attribute together one could separate what is a poll link (vote for this) and
what is an opinion (I have voted for this).

	Otherwise, if vote-links are not used for polling and there is not (it seems) a
microformat for it, how to propose a new one?

	It would be nice to have a more general microformat for associating a target with a
"label", more or less like xfn. Again, the problem of "acting on" vs "having acted on"
that confused me shows up. How about something like this rough draft to follow.

	For acting on (polling):

	For having acted on (similar to vote-links)

	Although I think this later one should also have information about who likes it
(perhaps an hCard), since we could, for example, have a list of expert opinions about
cheese. But I don't like the exchanges of roles of "about" (I hope I got it right).