[uf-discuss] MySpace and Microformats

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Tue Sep 22 18:08:30 PDT 2009

On 22 Sep 2009, at 17:47, Scott Reynen wrote:

> On Sep 22, 2009, at 5:56 PM, Karsten Januszewski wrote:
>
>> I was just on MySpace and noticed that /some/ profile pages are now
>> formatted using hCard - for example: http://www.myspace.com/
>> irhetoric. It appears that newly created MySpace profile pages are
>> using Microformats now. However, lots of other profile pages don't
>> use Microformats -- I'm guessing they are generated using a
>> different codebase. I just posted a thread on the forums (http://developer.myspace.com/Community/forums/p/9026/43520.aspx
>> )  to see what folks say, but I couldn't find any mention of it in
>> the press, etc.  Nonetheless -- another big win for Microformats
>> adoption!
>
> Nice.  I've done a lot of scraping of MySpace.  In my experience,
> they roll out changes *very* gradually, over the course of weeks, if
> not months. So hopefully the microformat markup is part of the new
> version and will be everywhere relatively soon.

MySpace has a branched codebase for profiles, the newer versions
simply referred to as ‘Profiles 2.0’. 2.0 has been live for a while
now, and upgrading from an old form profile to a new 2.0 form is
actually in control of the MySpace user, not MySpace as a service.

The reason for this being that the MySpace community is heavily based
around profile visual customizations, all of which depend on the old
mark-up. If MySpace ever upgraded all users to the new profiles
there'd be outrage because people would lose their page designs.

The number of third party templates for Profiles 2.0 is smaller than
Profiles 1.0. So again, the incentive to switch is taking time to
build up.

That Microformats are there in the new template though is great news!