[uf-discuss] best practices to represent business hierarchies

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 16:50:10 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 8:45 PM, Arnaud Sahuguet <sahuguet at google.com> wrote:
> Say I want to represent the Google offices, as all being part of the
> same entity Google.
> e.g. http://www.google.com/corporate/address.html
>
> How would I represent that?

--- there have been discussions in the past about using XOXO, but that
is just a specific type of LIST <ul>/<ol>

> Should I use fn for the name of the name of the office/branch and org
> for the global entity they belong to?

--- each office can be an entity in itself, so you can logically mark
each of those up with an hCard. That makes sense.

> Should I use rel-group?

--- I guess it all depends on what your intention is. There could be
some heuristics that say if all the URLs are the same, it is probably
part of the same group. There are also different sub-sections to ORG,
such as org-unit, maybe it is worth saying

ORG:
- org-name: XYZ co.
- org-unit: washington branch

Maybe that's overloading the ORG maybe not. Groups haven't really been
discussed in a long time. I'm not sure if anyone is actively
publishing much with rel-group. Does anyone know more?

-brian

--
brian suda
http://suda.co.uk