[uf-discuss] 2 billion hCards! gathering material for a "microformats.org turns 5" blog post

Peter Mika pmika at yahoo-inc.com
Tue Jul 6 01:27:03 PDT 2010

Hi Ed,

The comparison to the number of people online is misleading, because the
microformat stats quoted (both the Google and Yahoo figures) include
duplicate counting. One of my illustrative examples is
news.stanford.edu, where the microformat annotation is in the template,
and thus every single page has exactly the same microformat markup, i.e.
the address of Stanford University.

To verify, try the query

searchmonkey:com.yahoo.page.uf.hcard site:stanford.edu

in Yahoo Search.

The second point to make is that RDFa usage is underreported by [1]. Compare

searchmonkey:com.yahoo.page.rdf.rdfa

with

searchmonkey:com.yahoo.page.uf.hcard

These indicate that there are 2.7B pages with RDFa compared to 2B pages
with hCard. There are many caveats to these numbers, but they are more
or less on equal footing.

Cheers,
Peter

[1]