[uf-discuss] re: HTML5 support

Oli Studholme microformats.org at boblet.net
Tue Jul 13 09:59:42 PDT 2010

Hey all,

Thanks for your replies

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 1:31 AM, Tantek Celik <tantek at cs.stanford.edu> wrote:

> Please don't update the pages just based on a "guess" that the warnings are no longer relevant, and revert accordingly.

I’d revert the warnings, but it appears you’ve moved the content to
the wiki/microdata page, so I’m assuming the current text is as
desired. I asked @hixie about the warning and was told that the vCard
vocabulary had been based on hCard (I guess this is the fork your
comment referred to), but was now based directly on vCard. I also
asked @phae and @adactio about the warning, and was encouraged to make
changes. I’m not able to find a corroborating svn log entry — I’ll ask
@hixie for more info.

> In general, the latest, most accurate work on microformats (both class vocabularies and rel values), is on the microformats wiki, not the HTML5 spec, and thus you should refer to the microformats wiki spec pages as canonical.

I understand. I’d assumed the page was out of date due to the other
errors I fixed, and the lack of reply to my comment about timezone
validation from February. I’ll email the list in future. Also thank
you for the much clearer guidance on wiki/microdata.

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 5:13 AM, Martin McEvoy <martin at weborganics.co.uk> wrote:

> microdata does however exist as a separate specification [2] but is just
> "attributes" and as far as I know, microdata vCard and vEvent no longer
> exists as part of the microdata specification do they?.

They’ve been removed due to “politics”. They’re available via the
WHATWG spec as referenced in my email, and now in the wiki/microdata
page (thanks Tantek).

> I wouldnt really be surprised to see microdata disappear all together(but
> that's just my thought)

But how could microdata possibly disappear now that Google supports it? ;)

Finally thanks for the clarification Philip

peace - oli