[uf-discuss] re: HTML5 support

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Tue Jul 13 19:44:07 PDT 2010

  Oli Please don't get me wrong microdata does offer some interesting
potential as far as microformats are concerned, It just needs looking at
with "new eyes" and in a way that can help microformats *and* be 100%
compatible with the way microformats exist now.
There are a couple of attributes that could really be useful to
microformats, the itemscope attribute because its opaque, and itemref
which very similar to the include pattern but better because it would
allow an author to reference whole blocks of data not just a single
property.

example, you could have the following markup somewhere in a page:

<strong class="fn">Alfred Hitchcock</strong>

and add different parts of a page say in the footer....

<address itemref="contact" class="adr" itemscope>
</address>

I don't see any problem in microformats adopting only the parts of
microdata that are useful to microformats, there are probably others who
will disagree with that though ;-)

Best wishes.

Martin

--