[uf-discuss] re: HTML5 support

Oli Studholme microformats.org at boblet.net
Thu Jul 22 18:21:06 PDT 2010

Hey Angelo,

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 4:51 AM, Angelo Gladding <angelo at gladding.name> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 7:20 AM, Oli Studholme
> <microformats.org at boblet.net> wrote:
>> 宮野衆 is the Japanese name Miyano (宮野) Shu (衆) (well, probably ― there
>> may be other readings for 衆). As Philip correctly guesses, Miyano is
>> the family name, so inserting any form of space character would give
>> an incorrectly reversed name using implied “n” optimisation.
>
> My original intentions were to fall back on @lang in case sniffing
> Unicode ranges couldn't
> handle all of the cases. However, if that were the case, would it too
> be sufficiently magic?
>
> As I mentioned to Philip above, I'll draft the algorithm and post it
> back to be more clear.

I think the magic part is less of a problem than the magic sometimes
not working part. You’ll also need to convert to Unicode for pages in
other encodings (three others used in Japan), while keeping in mind
encodings are sometimes not declared.

If you need any help for Japanese let me know

peace - oli

PS speaking of encodings I recently saw a Japanese page using two
different encodings (second via iframe), neither of which were
declared. Mojibake disaster! :O