[uf-discuss] HTML 4 strict only

Toby Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Mon Mar 22 11:25:59 PST 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 09:38 -0600, Andrew Jaswa wrote:
> Like what? class? id? If I remember correctly microformats where meant
> to be portable across all versions* and using non-standard attributes
> wouldn't make sense.
>
> * 4.0+ atleast

The rel- and rev-based microformats (e.g. rel-tag, votelinks, etc) can
be used validly as far back as HTML 2.0. But HTML 2.0 didn't include a
class attribute, so the bigger microformats can't be used.

I think the HTML 3.0 drafts included the class attribute, but HTML 3.0
faltered and never really happened. HTML 3.2 was published as a W3C
Recommendation, but didn't include class. (The DTD explicitly mentions
it as something that was omitted.)

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail at tobyinkster.co.uk>