[uf-discuss] hCard, i18n and screen readers

lists at ben-ward.co.uk lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Tue Jan 11 16:32:17 PST 2011

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 10:19 -0800, "Jeff" <codedread at gmail.com> wrote:

> Someone just now pointed me to
> http://microformats.org/wiki/value-class-pattern#Using_value-title_to_publish_machine-data
> which indicates that the following is another option:

>  <h3 class="type"><span class="value-title"
> title="cell"></span>Téléphone Mobile</h3>
>
> The extra span seems ... dirty, but I guess it can work.  My only
> question is whether screen readers interpret the title of the empty
> span in any way.

This is the correct way; you don't need to abuse <abbr> for translation.
value-title was worked out partially for this very issue.

When we wrote up the pattern we ran thorough testing against screen
readers; yes, it's a somewhat ugly markup cludge, but it's all we've got
in HTML for the time being.

Regards,

Ben