[uf-discuss] schema.org, microformats.org, hRecipe

Ted Drake tdrake at yahoo-inc.com
Wed Jul 27 10:36:51 PDT 2011

I just want to remind people that Thomas was an unsung hero that worked his
ass off to get the hrecipe format into a workable format. He collaborated
with the Food Network and together they were able to publish the
microformat.

I remember coming across an issue with the hreview on Yahoo! Tech around
2006. It wasn't specifically itemscope, rather the desire to reference
content from another section of the page. For example, we had various
hreviews on a product page, but we had trouble referencing the product name
without including it within each review's container.

Itemscope wasn't an option at that time and I don't think it would have
solved the issue. We tried to reference the product name but ended up adding
the product name to each review via a hidden element. It was an ugly
solution, but better than having thousands of reviews for anonymous
products.

That being said, I do believe people would have used itemscope if it was
available from the beginning of microformats. But hindsight is 20/20.

Ted