[uf-discuss] Microformats versus Microdata

Martin Leese martin.leese at stanfordalumni.org
Fri Jun 8 18:12:27 PDT 2012

Hi,

I have decided to add microformats to my
HTML 4.01 website.  I have added hCard as
this seems to be well supported, and am now
looking at also adding hAudio/hMedia and
hResume.  These, however, are all still draft
standards, and are not as well supported as
hCard.  This presents me with a problem.

Do I implement these draft microformats, or
wait until I upgrade my website to HTML 5, and
then deploy Microdata?  (I will not be
upgrading to HTML 5 until the standard is
ratified, and that looks to be a few years away
yet.  If I add Microdata to HTML 4.01 then the
HTML will not verify, so I will not do that.)

It is already clear that Microdata will be well
supported.  On the other hand, my impression
of microformats is that the draft standards are
moribund.  Is this a fair impression?

Many thanks,
Martin
--
Martin J Leese
E-mail: martin.leese  stanfordalumni.org